Tuesday, November 2, 2010

More Black Hair Inspiration

First Willow now Sesame Street? We're on a roll! He is the man responsible for the Muppet as well as the writer of the timeless inspiring song I love my hair. Joey Mazzarino's race is White/Caucasian and he is the father of a Black/African American girl. I really appreciate Joey for doing this song. We as Black/African Women spend all of our time focusing on what we want our hair to look like, rather than accepting the texture and quality of our own natural hair. It took me years to accept my natural hair because beforehand all I wanted for it was to be straight, and everybody else around me had it conditioned in their minds that straight hair was the only presentable way hair should be worn. Joey recognized a common struggle that has been around for centuries and is obviously still a struggle today among Black/African American girls and women. Being that Joey is not of Black/African American descent I think what he did is significant and worthy of the recognition that he has received thus far and more. He recognized this sad fact about black womens' self identity and did something positive in attempt to put an end to the negative view on Black girls'/womens' hair. While his intention may have been to improve the self esteem of his little girl, the message came across loud and clear to me and thousands more. For more details on this interview please  go to curlynikki.com.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment